In a delicate economy a criminal record can truly undermine your job search along with other things like home and car loans. Believe it or not , however , there might be a way to clear your record dependent on the seriousness of the crimes and how way back they occurred.

Before you start this process, obtain your criminal record from any company that does background investigation. Review the info and make sure it’s accurate. Provided that you have no offenses that needed time in State jail, and can show due-diligence in changing your life for the better, you can set up a visit with the district court in which the charge was registered. Every crime has a slightly different waiting period before it's possible to make such a request, so if you're feeling a little out of your part try calling a public defender for specifics.

There’s no harm in hiring a lawyer to help with this process either. Look for someone who is moving towards their boards with an oversight lawyer to keep your costs down. Give that person your records and let them start to work out a sensible plan for tackling various offences (often the least problematic first).

If you are doing this by yourself, there are categorical court documents you'll need, some of which are available on the internet. If using a lawyer – they're going to provide documents for you. These documents show each case in which you were concerned, when it occurred, how you begged (or if there had been a decision), legal codes concerned, and any kind of punishment including compensation or jail time. Be tenacious in filling out this material accurate.

When you submit these forms to the correct court, include other documents that demonstrate your efforts to build a better future. Perhaps you've been going to night school or doing volunteer work. Get ratification or letters that prove those endeavors. Letters of recommendation help too.

There may be situations where you cannot (as yet) clear a record. Nonetheless this gives you a perfect opportunity to work towards a decrease of sentence. So after you finally get a hearing don't forget to act professionally and mannered. Be ON TIME! Think about what you want to say to the judge – keep it clear and concise, particularly the reasons why you deserve this chance.

You will get a response from your petition at the hearing or via mail. If the judge grants the motion it will be as if a specific record never existed. Often the request will be denied but that doesn't keep you from re-visiting a petition in the future with more supporting material.

Stephen Mays is the owner of The Mays Law Firm, a legal firm in Brevard County that serves criminal defense and family law needs with information on its internet site.