Several people who reside in the US currently may wonder if deferred action applies to their situation or can help someone they know. Janet Napolitano recently put this policy in place. She stated that young children who entered the country with their parents or other relatives and do not presently pose a risk to national security should be given the chance to contribute to the country that they live in. Instead of being automatically sent away, they should be eligible for relief from such action.

This move will allow children who in many cases have never known another home, to remain in an environment that they are familiar with. While kids may have been born in another country, if they came to the US when they were still very young, they would have no connections whatsoever in their mind and heart to any other place but the American community that they grew up in.

Many people who have these concerns can contact a representative of Homeland Security to seek clarification. The website of this government agency also have information that private individuals who have concerns may also find helpful. In some cases, a lawyer can better advise you of your options and give you the peace of mind that you need.

The Department with responsibility for this area requires that young people who are considered must be an asset. They cannot have a history of being any type of risk to public safety. Once this and other important criteria are met, individuals may be eligible for deferred action. This usually applies for two years but can be renewed.

Persons who qualify through the program may also apply to freely seek employment in the United States. This allows productive persons to remain where they can contribute to the economical growth of their state, instead of having to go somewhere where they cannot thrive because they do not speak the same language and have cultural differences.

People who came to the country before the age of sixteen will usually be considered for deferrals, once they have not been convicted of a violent crime. They must also have continually resided in the United States for a period of not less than five years. Individuals who are currently in school, have graduated or have served in the Armed Forces and the Coast Guard will also be considered.

A person who has had their case deferred can obtain employment authorization. However, before they get this they must prove economic necessity. Once USCIS grants this, young people can seek employment legally. Individuals who want to become citizens should make a separate application for that.

Young people who receive deferred action can continue their education more comfortably. Instead of worrying about how they will provide for their needs after they leave high school, they may also apply for work once they are authorized to do so. This gives them more room to be productive members of society. It also gives them more time to apply for citizenship on their own or with the help of family members.

You can visit for more helpful information about When To Request Consideration Of Deferred Action.